Ray Willy Neiheiser, presented the paper entitled Policy-Based Adaptation of a Byzantine Fault Tolerant Distributed Graph Database at the 37th IEEE International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS) in Salvador, Brazil. This work was advised by Prof. Luís Rodrigues (INESC-ID/Universidade de Lisboa) and Prof. Luciana Rech (LAPESD/UFSC).
Emmanuel Podestá Junior, a researcher advised by Prof. Márcio Castro, graduated with honors in Computer Science. He received a diploma of merit during the Computer Science Commencement Ceremony at the Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC) on August 17h, 2018. This distinction is given to the student who had the highest grade point average.
The paper entitled “Koordinator: A Service Approach for Replicating Docker Containers in Kubernetes“, co-authored by Hylson Vescovi Netto, Aldelir Fernando Luiz, Miguel Correia, Luciana Rech, and Caio Pereira Oliveira, received the Best Paper Award at the IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2018), which took place in Natal/RN, Brazil from June 25th to 28th, 2018. This work was developed in partnership between researchers from LaPeSD and INESC-ID.
The awarded paper presents Koordinator, a new container replica coordination approach that provides availability and integrity with strong consistency in Kubernetes.
LaPeSD, in partnership with the Institute Federal Catarinense/Brazil, Federal Institute of Santa Catarina/Brazil, INESC-ID & Instituto Superior Técnico/Portugal, University of Porto/Portugal, Santa Catarina State University/Brazil, Itaipu Technological Park/Italy, Federal University of Sergipe/Brazil, Federal University of Pampa/Brazil, University of the Planalto Catarinense/Brazil, RIKEN/Japan, and Kyushu University/Japan, has participated and presented four research works at IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2018) in Natal/RN. The following papers were presented during the event:
- A Method to Verify Data Integrity in Graph Databases
Fabio Miranda Reina, Hylson Vescovi Netto, Luciana Rech, Aldelir Fernando Luiz
- Koordinator: A Service Approach for Replicating Docker Containers in Kubernetes
Hylson Vescovi Netto, Aldelir Fernando Luiz, Miguel Correia, Luciana Rech, Caio Pereira Oliveira
- Experimental Evaluation of the Coexistence of IEEE 802.11 EDCA and DCF Mechanisms
José Betiol Júnior, Jim Lau, Luciana Rech, Francisco Vasques, Ricardo Moraes
- REPO: A Microservices Elastic Management System for Cost Reduction in the Cloud
Alex Magalhaes, Luciana Rech, Ricardo Moraes, Francisco Vasques
- An e-Health Study Case Environment Enhanced by the Utilization of a Quality of Context Paradigm
Débora Nazário, Mario Dantas, Douglas D. J. Macedo
- KNOWLEDGE OBSERVATORIES AND THE PROMOTION OF INTELLIGENT TERRITORIES: The Case of the Network of Expertise and Innovation of the Tecnological Park of Itaipu
Denilson Sell, Alessandra Batista, Jose Todesco, Carlos Roberto De Rolt, Biamca Costa Amorim, Mario Dantas, Maria Angelica Jung Marques
- Evaluating the Tools to Analyze the Data from the ParticipACT Brazil Project: A Test with Elasticseach Tools Ecosystem with Twitter Data
Eliza Gomes, Daniel Penz, Viviane Gomes, Carlos Roberto De Rolt, Mario Dantas
- Towards a Hybrid Storage Architecture for IoT
Braulio L. D. C. Junior, Douglas D. J. Macedo, Diego Kreutz, Edward David Moreno, Mario A. R. Dantas
- IORE: A Flexible and Distributed I/O Performance Evaluation Tool for Hyperscale Storage Systems
Eduardo C. Inacio, Mario A. R. Dantas
- Proactive Autonomic Semantic Engine to User Experience-Aware Service Provision
Madalena Pereira da Silva, Felipe Volpato, Mario Antonio Ribeiro Dantas
- Characterizing I/O and Storage Activity on the K Computer for Post-Processing Purpose
Eduardo C. Inacio, Jorji Nonaka, Kenji Ono, Mario A. R. Dantas, Fumiyoshi Shoji
LaPeSD and ECL undergraduate and graduate students have participated and presented their research works at Escola Regional de Alto Desempenho do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul (ERAD/RS) in Porto Alegre/RS. The following papers were presented during the event:
- Em Direção a Soluções Distribuídas para Balanceamento de Carga Ciente de Comunicação
Vinicius Marino Calvo Torres de Freitas, Laércio Lima Pilla, Márcio Castro
- Otimização da Comunicação em Aplicações Estêncil Paralelas Implementadas com o PSkel no Processador MPPA-256
Bruno Marques, Emmanuel Podestá Junior, Márcio Castro
Pedro Henrique de Mello Morado Penna has earned his master’s degree in Computer Science from PPGCC/UFSC on 01/08/2017. His M.Sc. dissertation entitled “BinLPT: A Workload-aware Parallel Loop Scheduler for Large Scale Multicore Platforms” was advised by professors Márcio Castro and Patricia Plentz. The jury was composed by the following professors: Jean-François Méhaut (University of Grenoble Alpes), Rômulo Silva de Oliveira (PGEAS/UFSC), Luiz Cláudio Villar dos Santos (PPGCC/UFSC) and Laércio Lima Pilla (PPGCC/UFSC).
LAPESD’s undergraduate students have participated and presented their research works at VII Brazilian Symposium on Computing Systems Engineering (SBESC) in Curitiba/PR.
Overall, the following papers were presented during the event:
- Uma Plataforma de Tempo Real para Priorização de Serviços IoT na Nuvem
Alex Pinho Magalhães (UFSC), Luciana Rech (UFSC), Ricardo Moraes (UFSC), Luis Rodrigues (INESC-ID/IST)
- Towards the Use of LITMUS-RT as a Testbed for Multiprocessor Scheduling in Energy Harvesting Real-Time Systems
Lais Borin, Marcio Castro e Patricia Plentz (UFSC)
- Using The Nanvix Instructional Opering Systems in Undergraduate Operating Courses
Pedro Henrique Pena (UFSC), Henrique Cota Freitas, João Caram (PUC-MG), Marcio Castro (UFSC), Jean-François Méhaut (University of Grenoble Alpes)
The LaPeSD/UFSC team (Alyson Pereira, Emmanuel Podestá Jr. and Bruno Marques) is the 2nd-place Winner of the Marathon of Parallel Programming, which was held in conjunction with International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC-PAD) and Simpósio em Sistemas Computacionais de Alto Desempenho (WSCAD) in Campinas/SP.
Each team consists of three students members and a coach. They have about 5 hours to solve up to 9 problems. For Local Contest, the teams can also bring printed hard copy material (e.g. books, manuals, notes, papers). Judgment is strict. In the beginning of the contest, teams receive problem descriptions and sequential (serial) solutions. Resolution involves not only the correct problem solution but also performance speedup for parallel (or distributed) version, measured according to criteria defined by committee for current contest.
Pedro Penna has received a Second Best Paper Award at Simpósio em Sistemas Computacionais de Alto Desempenho (WSCAD) for the paper entitled BinLPT: A Novel Workload-Aware Loop Scheduler for Irregular Parallel Loops. In this paper, Pedro presents some of the results he obtained from his master thesis at PPGCC/UFSC. This work has been done in collaboration with other researchers from PUC-Minas and Université de Grenoble Alpes (France). Pedro was advised by Prof. Márcio Castro and Prof. Patricia Plentz.
Márcio Castro’s undergraduate and graduate students have participated and presented their research works at International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC-PAD) and at Simpósio em Sistemas Computacionais de Alto Desempenho (WSCAD) in Campinas/SP. Overall, the following papers were presented during the events:
- BinLPT: A Novel Workload-Aware Loop Scheduler for Irregular Parallel Loops, Pedro Henrique Penna (UFSC), Márcio Castro (UFSC), Patricia Plentz (UFSC), Henrique Cota Freitas (PUC Minas), François Broquedis (Université de Grenoble Alpes), Jean-François Méhaut (Université de Grenoble Alpes)
- Automatic Partitioning of Stencil Computations on Heterogeneous Systems, Alyson D. Pereira, Rodrigo C. O. Rocha, Luiz Ramos, Márcio Castro, and Luís F. W. Góes
- Geração Automática de Estênceis Otimizados para GPUs, Alyson Deives Pereira (UFSC), Rodrigo Caetano Rocha (University of Edinburgh), Márcio Castro (UFSC), Luís Fabrício Wanderley Góes (PUC Minas)
- Execução Energeticamente Eficiente de Aplicações Estêncil com o Processador Manycore MPPA-256, Emmanuel Podestá Junior (UFSC), Alyson Deives Pereira (UFSC), Rodrigo Caetano Rocha (University of Edinburgh), Márcio Castro (UFSC), Luís Fabrício Wanderley Góes (PUC Minas)