Students from LaPeSD have presented their papers at the Escola Regional de Alto Desempenho da Região Sul (ERAD/RS 2023). This year, ERAD/RS was held in Porto Alegre/RS.Papers presented at ERAD/RS 2023:
- Análise do Sobrecusto de Utilização de Contêineres para Execução de Aplicações de HPC na Nuvem
Lívia Ferrão , Vanderlei Pereira Filho e Márcio Castro
- Proposta de um Cluster para Aplicações de HPC com o uso de Docker e Infiniband
Weslley Silva, Guilherme Geronimo e Odorico Mendizabal
- Análise de Viabilidade do Perfilamento de Aplicações de HPC Baseada em Contadores de Hardware na AWS
Luiz Fernando Althoff, Márcio Castro e Vanderlei Pereira Filho
- Análise de Desempenho de Hash Tables Não-Bloqueantes na Linguagem C++
Douglas Luiz e Odorico Mendizabal
- Enabling Dynamic Rescheduling in Kubernetes Environments with Kubernetes Scheduling Extension (KSE)
Pedro Moritz de Carvalho Neto, Márcio Castro e Frank Siqueira
Congratulations to all students!
Vanderlei Munhoz presented his work entitled Strategies for Fault-Tolerant Tightly-coupled HPC Workloads Running on Low-Budget Spot Cloud Infrastructures at the EEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC-PAD 2022), which was held in Bordeaux, France. This work was coauthored by Prof. Márcio Castro and Prof. Odorico Mendizabal.
In this work, Vanderlei evaluated the viability of budget-constrained cloud environments for tightly-coupled MPI applications, exploring both spot and traditional low-budget infrastructures from real public cloud platforms. Two different fault tolerance strategies tailored for unreliable spot cloud environments have been proposed: system-level rollback restart with Berkeley Labs Checkpoint/Restart (BLCR) and in-memory rollback restart with User-Level Failure Mitigation (ULFM). A provider-agnostic empirical method for testing and predicting MPI workloads execution times and cloud infrastructure costs was also proposed. The results showed that: (i) adequate cluster sizing plays an important role in the overall job execution performance and cost-effectiveness, regardless of the type of selected instances; (ii) fault tolerance strategies based on BLCR may have worse performance than ULFM, but still be cost-effective considering software migration costs; (iii) the use of spot infrastructure does not guarantee costs savings depending on the chosen machine flavors and discounts, as experiments with persistent low-budget options attained better cost-effectiveness in some conditions.
The “XXIII Simpósio em Sistemas Computacionais de Alto Desempenho (WSCAD 2022)”, which is the brazilian conference on High Performance Computing (HPC), was organized by Prof. Márcio Castro (UFSC) and Prof. Odorico Mendizabal (UFSC) and was held at the Majestic Palace Hotel in Florianópolis/SC. Students from LaPeSD and PET/UFSC have also participated as local staff. In this year, more than 140 people came to Florianópolis/SC to participate in the event.
João Fellipe Uller presented his work entitled Enhancing Programmability in NoC-Based Lightweight Manycore Processors with a Portable MPI Library at the Simpósio em Sistemas Computacionais de Alto Desempenho (WSCAD), which was held virtually this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This work was advised by Prof. Márcio Castro.
In this work, João proposed a portable and lightweight MPI library (LWMPI) designed from scratch to cope with restrictions and intricacies of lightweight manycores. This library was integrated into a distributed OS that targets these processors and evaluated it on the Kalray MPPA-256 processor. Results obtained with three applications from a representative benchmark suite unveiled that LWMPI achieves similar performance scalability in comparison with the low-level vendor-specific API narrowed for MPPA-256, while exposing a richer programming interface.
The paper presentation is available at Youtube.
João Vicente Souto and João Fellipe Uller presented their papers at the Escola Regional de Alto Desempenho da Região Sul (ERAD/RS). This year, ERAD/RS was a virtual conference due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Their works were advised by Prof. Márcio Castro.
Papers presented at ERAD/RS 2020:
- Mecanismos de Comunicação entre Clusters para Lightweight Manycores no Nanvix OS, authored by João Vicente Souto (UFSC), Pedro Henrique Penna (PUC Minas), Márcio Castro (UFSC) and Henrique Cota Freitas (PUC Minas). Click here to see his presentation at Youtube.
- Proposta de Suporte ao Padrão MPI sobre Infraestrutura de Comunicação de Baixo Nível no Nanvix OS, authored by João Fellipe Uller (UFSC), João Vicente Souto (UFSC), Pedro Henrique Penna (PUC Minas) and Márcio Castro (UFSC). Click here to see his presentation at Youtube.
João Vicente Souto and David Ordine, presented their papers at the Escola Regional de Alto Desempenho da Região Sul (ERAD/RS) in Três de Maio, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Their works were advised by Prof. Márcio Castro.
Papers presented at ERAD/RS 2019:
- Impacto de Abstrações IPC sobre o Processador MPPA-256, authored by João Vicente Souto (UFSC), Emmanuel Podestá Junior (UFSC), Pedro Henrique Penna (PUC Minas) and Márcio Castro (UFSC)
- Otimização de Aplicações do CAP Bench para o Processador MPPA-256, authored by David Ordine (UFSC), Emmanuel Podestá Junior (UFSC), Pedro Henrique Penna (PUC Minas), Márcio Castro (UFSC)
LaPeSD, in partnership with the Institute Federal Catarinense/Brazil, Federal Institute of Santa Catarina/Brazil, INESC-ID & Instituto Superior Técnico/Portugal, University of Porto/Portugal, Santa Catarina State University/Brazil, Itaipu Technological Park/Italy, Federal University of Sergipe/Brazil, Federal University of Pampa/Brazil, University of the Planalto Catarinense/Brazil, RIKEN/Japan, and Kyushu University/Japan, has participated and presented four research works at IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2018) in Natal/RN. The following papers were presented during the event:
- A Method to Verify Data Integrity in Graph Databases
Fabio Miranda Reina, Hylson Vescovi Netto, Luciana Rech, Aldelir Fernando Luiz
- Koordinator: A Service Approach for Replicating Docker Containers in Kubernetes
Hylson Vescovi Netto, Aldelir Fernando Luiz, Miguel Correia, Luciana Rech, Caio Pereira Oliveira
- Experimental Evaluation of the Coexistence of IEEE 802.11 EDCA and DCF Mechanisms
José Betiol Júnior, Jim Lau, Luciana Rech, Francisco Vasques, Ricardo Moraes
- REPO: A Microservices Elastic Management System for Cost Reduction in the Cloud
Alex Magalhaes, Luciana Rech, Ricardo Moraes, Francisco Vasques
- An e-Health Study Case Environment Enhanced by the Utilization of a Quality of Context Paradigm
Débora Nazário, Mario Dantas, Douglas D. J. Macedo
- KNOWLEDGE OBSERVATORIES AND THE PROMOTION OF INTELLIGENT TERRITORIES: The Case of the Network of Expertise and Innovation of the Tecnological Park of Itaipu
Denilson Sell, Alessandra Batista, Jose Todesco, Carlos Roberto De Rolt, Biamca Costa Amorim, Mario Dantas, Maria Angelica Jung Marques
- Evaluating the Tools to Analyze the Data from the ParticipACT Brazil Project: A Test with Elasticseach Tools Ecosystem with Twitter Data
Eliza Gomes, Daniel Penz, Viviane Gomes, Carlos Roberto De Rolt, Mario Dantas
- Towards a Hybrid Storage Architecture for IoT
Braulio L. D. C. Junior, Douglas D. J. Macedo, Diego Kreutz, Edward David Moreno, Mario A. R. Dantas
- IORE: A Flexible and Distributed I/O Performance Evaluation Tool for Hyperscale Storage Systems
Eduardo C. Inacio, Mario A. R. Dantas
- Proactive Autonomic Semantic Engine to User Experience-Aware Service Provision
Madalena Pereira da Silva, Felipe Volpato, Mario Antonio Ribeiro Dantas
- Characterizing I/O and Storage Activity on the K Computer for Post-Processing Purpose
Eduardo C. Inacio, Jorji Nonaka, Kenji Ono, Mario A. R. Dantas, Fumiyoshi Shoji
LaPeSD and ECL undergraduate and graduate students have participated and presented their research works at Escola Regional de Alto Desempenho do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul (ERAD/RS) in Porto Alegre/RS. The following papers were presented during the event:
- Em Direção a Soluções Distribuídas para Balanceamento de Carga Ciente de Comunicação
Vinicius Marino Calvo Torres de Freitas, Laércio Lima Pilla, Márcio Castro
- Otimização da Comunicação em Aplicações Estêncil Paralelas Implementadas com o PSkel no Processador MPPA-256
Bruno Marques, Emmanuel Podestá Junior, Márcio Castro
LAPESD’s undergraduate students have participated and presented their research works at VII Brazilian Symposium on Computing Systems Engineering (SBESC) in Curitiba/PR.
Overall, the following papers were presented during the event:
- Uma Plataforma de Tempo Real para Priorização de Serviços IoT na Nuvem
Alex Pinho Magalhães (UFSC), Luciana Rech (UFSC), Ricardo Moraes (UFSC), Luis Rodrigues (INESC-ID/IST)
- Towards the Use of LITMUS-RT as a Testbed for Multiprocessor Scheduling in Energy Harvesting Real-Time Systems
Lais Borin, Marcio Castro e Patricia Plentz (UFSC)
- Using The Nanvix Instructional Opering Systems in Undergraduate Operating Courses
Pedro Henrique Pena (UFSC), Henrique Cota Freitas, João Caram (PUC-MG), Marcio Castro (UFSC), Jean-François Méhaut (University of Grenoble Alpes)
Márcio Castro’s undergraduate and graduate students have participated and presented their research works at International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC-PAD) and at Simpósio em Sistemas Computacionais de Alto Desempenho (WSCAD) in Campinas/SP. Overall, the following papers were presented during the events:
- BinLPT: A Novel Workload-Aware Loop Scheduler for Irregular Parallel Loops, Pedro Henrique Penna (UFSC), Márcio Castro (UFSC), Patricia Plentz (UFSC), Henrique Cota Freitas (PUC Minas), François Broquedis (Université de Grenoble Alpes), Jean-François Méhaut (Université de Grenoble Alpes)
- Automatic Partitioning of Stencil Computations on Heterogeneous Systems, Alyson D. Pereira, Rodrigo C. O. Rocha, Luiz Ramos, Márcio Castro, and Luís F. W. Góes
- Geração Automática de Estênceis Otimizados para GPUs, Alyson Deives Pereira (UFSC), Rodrigo Caetano Rocha (University of Edinburgh), Márcio Castro (UFSC), Luís Fabrício Wanderley Góes (PUC Minas)
- Execução Energeticamente Eficiente de Aplicações Estêncil com o Processador Manycore MPPA-256, Emmanuel Podestá Junior (UFSC), Alyson Deives Pereira (UFSC), Rodrigo Caetano Rocha (University of Edinburgh), Márcio Castro (UFSC), Luís Fabrício Wanderley Góes (PUC Minas)